Friday, July 24, 2015

Overheating

Went for a blat today and noticed on the way back that the cooling fan wasn't cutting in as it is supposed to. On the climb up the hill to the house, the engine was getting perilously hot (well it was 104 fahrenheit out there). When I got home the fan still hadn't come on -the fuse had blown, again - it seems a 15A fuse isn't enough, but how much current can the wiring take? A question for Westfield methinks. In the meantime, I fitted a 30A fuse - if that blows we really have a problem. Mind you, we may have another altogether different problem if the wiring melts. Do not try this at home, I only used a 30A fuse because I didn't have a 20A one. This is a temporary measure.

On to Amazon (wonderful place). Ordered a lovely assortment of fuses for $8 and free shipping, to be delivered on Sunday, no less. I got 80 fuses for the price of 5 at AutoZone, give or take.

The engine was pinging a lot under load as well - modern engines aren't supposed to do that - but the Omex ECU doesn't use a knock sensor, so it doesn't know the engine is having problems. I suppose the UK set up doesn't take into account crappy US gas, temperatures over 100 degrees and nearly three thousand feet of altitude. I am guessing it is set up for sea level atmospherics and gloomy cold UK weather.

Worse still, it is a closed system, so I can't just go in and tweak it. To be discussed with Westfield when I am there next week. I am visiting the factory to return the assortment of extra brake pedals they supplied me with and other sundry bits and pieces I had left over, and to pick up my swirl pot, if it is ready, along with a couple of other missing items.

All that to say, there will be a lull in proceedings here while I wend my way, and back, to Blighty. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment